Evil Dead Rise (2023)


Genre:
Horror
Directed by: Lee Cronin
Starring: Lily Sullivan, Alyssa Sutherland, Morgan Davies
Running Time: 97'
Verdict: ⊗⊗⊗⊗

I skipped Evil Dead, I wasn't even aware it was released. But I will definitely watch it to catch up with this great franchise. I understand it is loosely connected to the original trilogy, but watching Evil Dead Rise assured me that the filmmakers know what they want and how to make it. From it's amazing title shot until the end, the movie is gripping, brutal, gory and very bloody. There is a lot less comedy than I expected, but much more well executed horror elements that improved my opinion on the modern version of the genre. There are great performances from everyone (even the kids), but specially from Alyssa Sutherland as a crazed, possessed mother employing some impressive physical and facial acrobatics. The movie also explores motherhood in a surprisingly refreshing way. Introduction of the Necronomicon to the story felt a bit clunky and I'm still a bit unclear on the rules of the evil forces, but that doesn't really take too much from the movie. It is kind of a limited-setting film, as most of it is set in an old apartment building that is creepy enough by itself. I would actually say that the building is a character of itself, in a way. Evil Dead Rise is a very entertaining movie that revived my interest in horror movies and I would very much like to watch it again.
Rokin

0 comments:

Post a Comment